Middle School Behavior Management



Get some great positive reinforcement ideas that also increase engagement for any middle school class here!




Now that the first quarter is over (!), I am finally "in the groove" with my 6th graders and am excited to join Stephanie for this swell linky to share some new things in/about my classroom!



One new thing I have been trying is Whole Brain Teaching.  Now I am no expert and am not implementing it to the "T", but I am using the class attention signals and the hand signals for various concepts which have been working wonders all by themselves!


The class attention signals work by saying "Class" to which the students respond "Yes".  You can vary it by saying "Super Class" to which the students respond "Super Yes".  I may have to repeat some sort of "Class" 2 or 3 times and then I say "Hands and Eyes" to which the students fold their hands and look at me.  This has been amazing!!


Then, I began to look at other signals like the folded hands to indicate compare and the bumping fists together to indicate contrast. 

As we really get the hang of it, signals could replace words which amps up the attention factor tremendously.

I learned A LOT, just by watching this video:





Another part of the Whole Brain Teaching is "The Super Improver Wall".  This is where kids can visually track their progress and move up in the ranks as they progress through the year.  Each student has to earn 10 improvements before they can move up a level.  Each improvement is marked with a sticker on each student's own card.


My Super Improver Wall is one of the awesome new things I am trying this year to put the emphasis on progress, not perfection!

My students are really enjoying it but they especially loved coming up with privileges for each rank.  The levels start at Beginner and students can earn small treats. The idea is to work up to be a Living Legend to have cell phone time in class!  They all want to be living legends!  :)


I'm feeling like this combination may really give me the engagement I need from my students to help them increase their achievement!

Thanks for stopping by!