Sparking Motivation with tickets




It's been a while since I last joined in Spark Student Motivation Saturday!  This is because this year I am teaching both general and special education.  It looks like I will finally get just one prep but with general Language Arts and no special classes.  This, of course, changes my behavior system.

At the start of the year, I was in special education mode and had decided that students would accumulate star stickers for their football helmets to earn rewards that they chose.  

Well.... as it turns out, my general education 8th graders aren't really into it.  So I had to stop and think what I had used before when I taught general classes.  And then I remembered - tickets!


When I see kids on task or paying it forward or getting a great grade, they get a ticket.  Their job is to put their name on the back and deposit it into the raffle jar on their way out to the next class.  On Friday, I will draw at least 3 winners.  The more a student is entered, the more likely they are to win!

And what will they win?  Well, I had already surveyed the class to see what they want to earn so I will just take the prizes they would have earned by accumulating stars, and give them out as raffle prizes.  

I'm going to start it this week.  Each student will get one ticket per star that they already have on their helmet so that they know their work is still valuable.  We'll draw names this Friday.  I'll let you know what they think!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments

  1. I LOVE tickets! I've used them for 18 years and I it's the best system for me! They'll do anything to earn those tickets for the end of the week drawing! You'll have to look back at my spark student motivation linky posts-(my very first one). I think you might like it for your ticket system! :) Thanks for sharing and linking up Lisa!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to know what they chose for the prizes. Anything other than candy? Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's mostly food: chips, freeze pops, and candy. Although a "no homework" pass seems to get some attention too. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)